web tracker

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Two chemos down AND one to go

The second of three chemo treatments is down. At 7:15pm tonight the last bag of chemo was detached from my life cord. I still have two days of the chemo running thru my system but at least the bag is gone. Today was another up and down day full of upset stomach and emotions. But with the help of family and friends I am another day closer to getting the cure I and my family desire.

I will have one more full week of chemo in the hospital starting in later April running concurrently with the radiation treatment. But that is three weeks away. All I will be concentrating on the next two weeks is getting my health and energy back.

My three grandkids came up for a sneak visit today. Kids always have a way of charging your batteries! It was truly wonderful to see Harrison, Walker and Hannah.

My white cells have dropped to the point that fresh fruit, flowers and visitors will be off the list for the next 24 - 48 hours. This happens with every chemo but the numbers came back the first time in good shape and I expect them to this time. My other counts are falling too but am assured that they will make a significant rebound this next week.

So tonight I hope that my stomach settles down and without chemo I will have a good day to rest and walk and maybe enjoy some outdoor air. You don't know how much you miss it when all you get to see is thru a window.

I cannot say how great the Oncology Unit at MMH has been. They are the most caring people in treatment, caring and visiting. They are folks that you never want to see but without them, this process would be much harder. Thanks is truly not enough to tell them.

I think God works in such a wonderful way. We just have to watch to see his good works. People come at the right time, friends doing things you worry about, the right cards come at the right time, comments are made by people that settle the soul. God is all around us, we just have to open our hearts to let him come in his way. I think we all want to see this big message from him, but he works thru the mulitdues of angels, both heavenly and human. As I have stated before, we all need to slow down and smell the roses and listen to what he has to tell us. I know it has made an impact on me.

Again, thanks for the support and prayers. I know without this support, this would be so much harder. May God Bless each of you this Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steve,

    Charming pictures of you in the bed and walking down the hall...got your tidey whities on too? I'd love to come rub your head too...and you're right...everyone wants to touch it! I just love to read your blogs and read how positive you are. Keep it up...it's the one thing that really makes this process easier. God provides the healing but you provide the tools for Him to help you heal via laughter, postivie thinking and allthe other stuff. Glad to hear that this round of chemo is easier...although it is never easy. I'll be 10 and 11 years survivor this April (I think I told you that) but it's still very clear to me the treament and surgeries I've had. My body is a road map ya know but I sure am glad that the doctors were able to keep me whole as much as possible. I know that this will be over for you soon and you'll be able to get back to your life again. You willl NEVER look at life the same again though...I know that for sure. Take care, stay funny and positive. Love, Christi

    ReplyDelete