web tracker

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Moving On

When I arrived at the hospital this morning at 6:00, Steve was sleeping. "Ahhh, that's good," I thought. This is what I get for thinking!

Steve was so nauseated that he had been medicated into a 6 hour sleep to keep vomit from passing his torn-up esophagus. When he awoke, he mumbled, "I need scrambled eggs with cheese." Since he still hadn't eaten anything solid, this was wonderful news. I gathered my purse and keys to hurry home to scramble eggs. Our nurse noticed my frantic run toward the elevator and said, "Whoaaaaaa! Go to the cafeteria, find the manager, and tell her what you need." I did as I was told and was met by the kindest woman ever. On the spot, she scrambled eggs, melted cheese into them, and charged me $0.00. Man, I am more amazed everyday by the blessings of this journey. Steve ate more than half of his eggs. Good for him!

Though Steve wasn't fully awake until 3:30 pm, he awoke feeling much better. A walk in the hall ended the feeling good. At 5:00, Dr. Rastogi asked Steve if he's always been a take charge guy. "If so, you're going to need to realize, for once in your life, you can't take charge. You're body must go through the process I've described."

Tonight, another part of that process continued. For the first time, Steve's tongue and cheeks have started the process of losing cells, causing his tongue to be covered in fiery, red ulcers.

I think, with managed pain, we may get to come home on Friday. That will give Steve a week at his office before the next step in this process.

Thank you for your prayers so far, and please continue to keep him in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment